sending out the upholstery

by Dorie on January 28, 2010

sending the chairs off to be upholstered

You may remember (or likely do not–that’s fine) that I took an upholstery class some 2+ years ago with the idea that it would give me the tools I needed to turn my worn chairs into things of beauty. As it turns out, upholstery is somewhat of an art, and I have neither natural talent in this area, nor an inclination to practice. My one gray velvet chair I almost completed during the class never became totally completed. In the time since the class, the chair has faded a bit in places to a lavender with peach tones. I am officially giving up upholstery. We have found someone who does good work at a good price, so I am getting both my gray chair and its clawed-up, bright yellow mate redone in a not-too-fussy off-white matelasse. White—am I nuts? Maybe, but at least it won’t fade.

Knitting continues to dominate the crafting agenda. I’m working on trying to take cuter in-progress pics.

{ 8 comments }

Nicky January 29, 2010 at 12:01 am

Congratulations on being big enough to admit defeat! I too took an upholstery class. I loved ripping my chair to bits but didn’t have the patience for all the putting back together. My sad chair is still in the garage 6 years on!

Lynn January 29, 2010 at 6:01 am

OMG!! Did the cats get to the yellow chair? YIKES!!
I am sure they will be quite lovely when completed! Look forward to seeing the finished result!!

Kristin January 29, 2010 at 10:01 pm

dorie! this photo is priceless!! the chair may be in shambles, it’s loaded and ready to go and yet you keep on knitting. good for you to be able to admit defeat.

mjb January 30, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Love this photo, and love what reupholstering can do to old furniture.

molly February 1, 2010 at 8:02 pm

gah! i’ve long dreamed of learning upholstery (all those great frames! all that bad torn/faded/ghastly fabric!). good to hear a little straight talk from one who’s tried. (brilliant shot, to boot!)

michelle February 7, 2010 at 4:02 am

love this pic – it’s just fab! Love your armchairs too – can’t wait to see what you get done with them :o)

Nancy Pagaduan March 8, 2010 at 11:03 am

After I heard/saw that you had upholstered that gray chair, I was halfway inspired to do my own and just never got around to taking that class or finding the right fabric. I’m looking for some Marimekko fabric which I should have bought when we were in Finland, but I can kick myself about that later. Anyway, who did you find to do the upholstery?

Maggie April 28, 2016 at 9:47 am

CO2 emissions are cratering because production and other economic activity is cratering. There is no good news about reduced CO2 emiiGsons.AsW is a scam. CO2 is plant food. Increased CO2 = greatly increased crop yields. It also equals more biota in the seas (contrary to the ocean acidification scammers claim.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: