years later, an alabama chanin top

by Dorie on May 21, 2013

About three years ago I started this Alabama Chanin top. My mom got the book for me – I think it’s the second book – Alabama Studio Style. I worked on it pretty regularly for awhile, right up until I realized I made some not great design choices. The green on green didn’t really show off the stencil and I had meant to stitch outside the painted area and not inside it. These are not really big deals, but they were demotivational enough to make me put the project down for a couple years. I picked it up again last spring when I saw someone else working on hers at one of Rae and Karen’s crafty meet-ups, and then I promptly put it down again. This spring I finished it, I mean it only needed the binding, and wouldn’t you know it, I love it.

The fit is great. The little flare at the waist is flattering, and I find the binding quite cute. After all that sluggish attitude, I may make myself the dress version of the pattern.

Dishes are done, man.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Natalie (QSOgirl) May 21, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Gorgeous! I love the princess lines. It looks comfy and elegant at the same time. I’m glad you finished this beautiful top! You’re tempting me to start another Alabama Chanin project myself…

Dorie May 22, 2013 at 7:27 am

Thank you! It’s funny because often princess lines don’t work for me, but like this in a knit, they’re great

Alix May 21, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Beauiful! Perfect for spring and summer! I’m working on the AC craftsy class and just love everything about the process.

Dorie May 22, 2013 at 7:26 am

Oh cool! I was wondering how the Craftsy class was. Good to know you like it!

beki May 22, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Yay! It looks great!! I’ve been eyeing that top pattern. With the increase in heat and humidity sleeveless tops are all I can muster these days. I love love love AC stuff. All that is left on my current project is the binding. I need to just finish the darned thing.

Dorie May 24, 2013 at 7:21 am

Why is it so hard to finish sometimes? And yeah, I think this will be great for summer. Someone on flickr suggested the dress in a single layer, and I think that would be great too.

Kris May 22, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Awesome! I love it when you get an unexpected finish from an old project!!

Dorie May 24, 2013 at 7:22 am

And I didn’t even have an out of state move to motivate me. :-)

erin May 25, 2013 at 8:03 am

i love it, dorie. i need to pull out those books for inspiration.

Debbie-Esch House Quilts May 28, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Dorie,
I seem to have missed your last few posts – stupid Google Reader!

I love this top – it looks wonderful on you! I saw someone at Quilt Market with an AC skirt and it looked amazing :)