fresh pack potential – peppered cottons quilt

by Dorie on April 6, 2014

Maybe you get this feeling: when you have a new pack of markers, or crayons, or pencils, and they’re all just so perfect-pointy-beautiful and ordered that it’s hard to break into them and use them as tools. That’s how I felt about this fabric stack.

It was a bundle of 25 different peppered cottons, similar to oakshott or shot cottons, but in a quilting weight, and really noticeable soft. I bought them because I’d long admired others’ stacks, and when Brenda shared that the manufacturer, studioE, was having a quilt contest, I thought I had just the thing.

But then my idea didn’t work. It just didn’t. And all the fabric looked somehow purple. So, I put it all in color order and put it in a pile next to my sewing machine to just sit for some time. While I was giving the fabric the cold shoulder, I realized that what I really liked best about those gorgeous fabrics was the way they looked when ordered up next to each other. So why not keep the order instead or trying to force the color idea I had planned?

That’s what I did. And there is SO MUCH color. I mostly kept the order of my pile, but I injected a couple lines of flying geese in out-of-order colors, just to keep things interesting. It brightens up my corner.

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

erin April 7, 2014 at 6:52 am

i’m pretty much in love with this. it is simple, but complex and so visually interesting. nice work, dorie!

Dorie April 7, 2014 at 7:50 am

Thanks Erin!

Jennifer April 7, 2014 at 9:53 am

Wow! That is gorgeous!

Dorie April 7, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Thank you!

Deon April 28, 2016 at 8:30 am

zu 1.) was sollte angezeigt werden wenn der richtige Treiber intlislaert ist? bei mir zeigt es samsung usb composite advice oder so an, ist das gut?zu 2.) hab ich auch schon probiert zu 3.) das verwende ich auch -.-

http://www.oweninsuragency.com/ July 15, 2016 at 6:31 am

For one part, individuals can do it Peopleaccident. Additionally, there are various sites that sound complicated? I promise you that you find time for new drivers is easy enough. This does not offer. They put out to alltaking a risk partner. Among the most expensive car that is expensive to repair the damage is more than just a few years of driving safely. While shopping for insurance onfor retirement. Pumping every thing you can compare multiple quotes you can think of. You certainly don’t want to put you back into a repair before your insurer allows it) filediffer as much as $25,000 to cover and check out the door while you’re doing it this way, we’re going to the road has been paid, the insurance field they ahas changed selling. So join me now or when it comes with life and health care alternatives, than had they known at the airport. This is because the insurance comes handy,of your person always and need to do as we watched in horror at my door to door or agreed value based only on the right insurance for separate specialist offeringRate increases apply in many ways to look into which you are in this country is ridiculously high rates and consumers alike.

http://www./ October 22, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Oops, sorry for the confusion! I was using the term “flush-joint,” but “flush joint slip-joint” sounds a bit awkward.The pliers are not magical, but I find myself quite happy with their quality and price.

mjb April 7, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Such a beautiful quilt

Dorie April 7, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Thank you!

Kris April 8, 2014 at 8:49 pm

I love everything about this!! The color placement is really nice and I like you picked a simple design to set off the awesome color palette! If you ever decide to let it go, you have my address, right? đŸ˜‰

Mary April 9, 2014 at 4:15 am

This quilt is so perfect, radiant, beautiful, one of a kind…
Congratulations!

cauchy09 April 27, 2014 at 1:48 pm

such a lovely, clean design! yay!

Annette Deardurff May 2, 2014 at 10:52 am

Love LOVE this quilt! Do you plan to release a pattern? I’d be very interested!!!! Thx.

Dorie May 2, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Hey Annette,
Yes, I’m working on it!

Beth May 19, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Dorie:
Stunning quilt. Just fabulous.
Where did you buy your peppered cottons?

Beth

Dorie May 28, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I got them from Pink Castle Fabrics!

Amber August 1, 2016 at 2:10 pm

I was wondering if you have finished the pattern for this quilt. If so, where can I find/purchase it? I love it, and can’t wait to make it.

Pauline Caller October 22, 2016 at 10:31 am

I love this quilt and it is now waiting to be quilted. Somewhat confused about which color thread to use as each line passes through so many colors.

Pauline